Base kitchen cabinets are like the building blocks of your kitchen. Base kitchen cabinets are the lower cabinets that sit on the floor and provide space for storing your kitchen stuff. These cabinets come in different types to do different jobs in your kitchen. Some hold your sink, some fit in corners to use the space well, some are for your microwave, and some go in the middle of your kitchen as islands. There are also more shallow cabinets if you don’t have a lot of room. Some have drawers instead of doors, which can be handy for keeping things organized. So, base kitchen cabinets are an important part of making your kitchen work well!
Learn more about kitchen cabinet types
Sink Base Cabinet
This cabinet is designed to accommodate a kitchen sink. It usually has a false front panel and a cutout on the countertop to fit the sink. The plumbing for the sink is typically installed inside this cabinet.
Imagine the sink in your kitchen, where you wash dishes and vegetables. The sink base cabinet is like its home. The cupboard under the sink is designed to fit the sink perfectly.
Here’s why it’s special:
- Hides Plumbing: Inside this cabinet are pipes and tubes that bring water to your sink and remove the dirty water. The sink base cabinet hides all these messy pipes, so your kitchen looks neat.
- Storage: It’s not just for the sink; you can also use this cabinet to store cleaning supplies, dish soap, and even pots and pans if you have enough space.
- Custom Fit: The countertop above the sink base cabinet has a hole cut out to fit your sink perfectly. It’s like a puzzle piece that makes your kitchen work well.
Corner Base Cabinet
Corner cabinets are L-shaped and fit into kitchen corners to maximize storage space. They often have a lazy Susan or pull-out shelves to make the most of the corner area.
Corners in kitchens can be tricky, but the corner base cabinet is here to make the most of that space. Imagine the corner where two kitchen counters meet. It’s usually an area where things can get lost, but this cabinet solves that problem.
Here’s how it works:
- Maximizes Space: Corner base cabinets are shaped like an “L” to fit right into that corner. They use the often-unused corner space efficiently, giving you extra storage room.
- Lazy Susan or Pull-Out Shelves: To make it easy to access your items, many corner cabinets have special rotating shelves called “Lazy Susans.” You can spin them around to reach things in the back without digging. Some corner cabinets also have pull-out shelves that slide out so you can see and reach everything.
- Great for Pots and Pans: Because of their shape, corner cabinets are excellent for storing big items like pots, pans, and kitchen appliances you don’t use daily.
In simple terms, a corner base cabinet is like a superhero that swoops in to save the day in your kitchen’s tricky corners. It turns wasted space into useful storage, and you can easily find what you need without a treasure hunt in the back of your cabinets!
Explore more install kitchen cabinets
Microwave Base Cabinet
Have you ever wondered where your microwave goes in the kitchen? Well, it usually has its special cabinet, and that’s called the microwave base cabinet.
Here’s what’s cool about it:
- Perfect Fit for Your Microwave: This cabinet is made to fit your microwave just right. It’s usually at a comfortable height, so you can easily see and use your microwave.
- Neat and Tidy: Instead of having your microwave on the countertop, the microwave base cabinet keeps it out of the way. It looks neater and gives you more space for preparing food.
- Extra Storage: Some microwave base cabinets also have extra storage. They might have a shelf above or below the microwave to store things like cookbooks, kitchen gadgets, or even microwave-safe dishes.
Think of the microwave base cabinet as a cozy home for your microwave. It keeps your kitchen organized and makes it easy to heat snacks and leftovers without wasting valuable counter space.
Read more about MDF kitchen cabinets
Kitchen Island Cabinet Base
Imagine having an island in your kitchen – not a tropical one, but a special piece of furniture in the middle of your kitchen. The base cabinet for a kitchen island is what makes it functional.
Here’s why kitchen island cabinet bases are fantastic:
- Extra Workspace: The kitchen island cabinet provides a large, flat surface where you can prepare food, chop vegetables, or even roll out dough for baking. It’s like having a bonus countertop in the middle of your kitchen.
- Storage Galore: Inside the kitchen island cabinet, you can have drawers, shelves, or a combination. This means you can store pots, pans, utensils, dishes, and cutlery right on your island for easy access.
- Seating Options: Many kitchen islands also have an overhang on one side, allowing you to place barstools or chairs, which creates a cozy spot for family and friends to sit and chat while you cook.
- Customization: Kitchen island cabinets come in various sizes and styles, allowing you to choose the one that perfectly fits your kitchen space and design.
In simple terms, a kitchen island cabinet base transforms your kitchen into a more functional and stylish space. It provides extra room for cooking, storage, and socializing, making it a popular choice for modern kitchens.
Shallow Base Cabinets
Shallow base cabinets are typically used in kitchens with limited space. They offer storage but have a reduced depth compared to standard base cabinets, making them suitable for narrow kitchens or as part of a kitchen island.